Like other cities and towns, uneven sidewalks are a common sight in NYC too. Sidewalks, in the initial years of construction remain smooth and even, but over time, they can become uneven and develop cracks.
While it could well be the result of workers’ error at the time of construction, excessive exposure to moisture, weather and foot traffic are some of the other causes of uneven sidewalks. Most of the time, you can use a sidewalk cleaning service to maintain and treat the slabs so that you can elongate its life. Having said this, being exposed to the elements constantly, means repairs will be inevitable.
One common technique of sidewalk repair used by concrete contractors in NYC is mudjacking. Here, concrete is restored by injecting a mixture of limestone grout under concrete slabs for surface leveling.
Here are some effective steps that one can follow to mudjack uneven sidewalk slabs back to their original position:
Preparation of Sidewalk Slabs
- The first step is to use a masonry drill to bore three holes on the lower side of the concrete sidewalk slab, you’ll have to make sure you’re using similar bits to these masonry drill bits as well, to ensure the proper drilling of the hole.
- Make sure that the holes are at least 3 inches away from the edge of the slab to prevent cracking.
- Space the holes 6-8 inches apart in the slabs, and drill through the concrete sidewalk material until you hit the soil.
- Follow the instructions on packaging to mix grout formula with water in an aluminum container.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly using a masonry paddler at a medium speed.
- Sidewalk repair should be done in overcast conditions to sustain mixture fluidity.
- Use a grout-pump hose to pump in the mixture into central hole.
- Move the hose to other holes at regular intervals to ensure even distribution of mixture.
- Continue until the sidewalk slab starts to rise and levels with the surrounding slabs.
Preparation of Grout Mixture
Lifting Sidewalk Slabs
Mudjacking is a complex process for sidewalk repair, and should be done under the supervision of concrete contractors in NYC. Therefore, we recommend you to hire the expert services of professional concrete contractors like Tony’s Masonry to ensure a perfect sidewalk repair.
My friend was recently telling me that they had an accident on an unmaintained sidewalk and decided to sue. They used services similar to Alabama personal injury attorneys. In the end, they found the lawyer they needed to help them with their case, I am told that lawyer did a fantastic job.