Sidewalks are used almost everywhere in the US, ranging from public properties to off-road private properties. Due to their practically invisible nature, any sidewalk violation that occurs can take considerable time and attention to detect. If any injuries occur to any individual due to a hazardous sidewalk, the property owner is liable to pay for their medical costs, and are issued a notice for repair.
Hence, DOT carries out random sidewalk inspections to avoid such problems, so as a property owner, it is imperial that you keep your sidewalk in good condition. In order to check if your sidewalk falls under sidewalk violation, you need to think like the official sidewalk inspectors who monitor sidewalks all around NYC.
Some of the issues to look out for are:
- Does you sidewalk has large cracks on the surface? If yes, then it is possibly breaking the sidewalk standards laid out by DOT. Minor cracks are fine, but it is recommended to patch any kind of crack as soon as possible.
- Does your sidewalk has a few broken tiles resulting due to growth of roots from below the surface? If yes, then it is a solid case of sidewalk violation. You need to take care of the roots, repair the surface and ensure that roots don’t come in the way again.
- Is there any exposed pipe or metal manhole in the middle or side of the sidewalk? If yes, then you need to contact a professional sidewalk contractor and get it sorted out as soon as possible.
- Does your sidewalk accumulate rain water during rains? If yes, then there is something wrong with the slope, which is categorized as a sidewalk violation. You can get it repaired so that the sidewalk surface is level with the ground.
- Does your sidewalk have large gaps between tiles? If yes, then it is a trip hazard and may come under sidewalk violation. You can get it repaired before someone gets injured by tripping on it.
As long as you follow the rules and keep your sidewalk in good condition, you will not have to see any sidewalk violation notice from DOT inspectors, in case they randomly decide to inspect your sidewalk.